Have you ever fancied green baked eggs with peas ?
Well if you have I have a lovely recipe for you today. Great British Pea Week is next week and we have been given this lovely recipe from the Yes Peas! campaign, to share with you. Yes Peas! is run by the British Growers Association, and aims to inspire UK consumers to think creatively about cooking with frozen peas and celebrates British pea production!
I do hope you enjoy it!
Green Baked Eggs with Peas, Leeks and Feta Seed Crumble
- Serves 2-4
Ingredients for green baked eggs
- 30g butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 leeks, washed, trimmed and thinly sliced
- a bunch of spring onions, roughly chopped
- sea salt flakes & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 150ml vegetable stock
- 200g frozen peas
- a good handful of baby spinach
- 4 large eggs
For the dressing:
- 4 tbsp Greek yoghurt
- 100g Feta cheese, cubed
- 1 clove garlic
Method for green baked eggs
- Mix the yoghurt with the Feta cheese, smashing the cheese with a fork to combine well into a chunky sauce.
- Cut the garlic clove in half lengthwise and add to the yoghurt mixture. Set aside.
- Heat a large sauté pan over a medium heat and add the butter and oil.
- Once the butter starts to foam add the leeks and spring onion, season with sea salt and black pepper. Fry the vegetables for 2-minutes, stirring until the leeks are soft.
- Add the cumin seeds and vegetable stock and boil the mixture until the stock has evaporated.
- Add the peas and spinach and cook for 1 minute until the spinach has wilted, then reduce the heat to a low to medium heat.
- Make a well in the leek and pea mixture and break an egg into the space. Repeat with remaining eggs, then season each yolk with salt.
- Cook the eggs for about 4-5 minutes over a low heat, or until the egg whites are cooked and the yolks are runny.
- Remove the garlic halves from the yoghurt and Feta sauce and serve with the baked eggs.
- Serve with a wedge of lemon.