I had a version of a lentil salad recipe at my sons surprise 13th birthday party hosted by my in laws this summer. I was blown away with how tasty and filling it was. She had very kindly been looking up some vegan recipes as a nod to the cleanse I was on.
My mother-in-law’s salad was quite simply delicious. I was surprised how much I enjoyed it. I think of sunshine and family when I think of lentil salad now and I have been so keen to make my own version.
I was worried it was going to involve a lot of time spent prepping veg and soaking lentils and I am time short – especially in the long summer holidays. So I was determined to take a few shortcuts and make this as quick and easy as possible, take a look
This is a 10 minute recipe as I used prepared Puy Lentils and already chopped herbs and spices. It is nutritious and delicious. Lemons, a red apple and spring onions gave it a real sunshine kick and I am delighted with the end result.
Do let me know if you give this protein packed salad a go – it is the perfect picnic vegan recipe and a lovely light lunch idea too.
- 250g puy lentils
- 1 lemon
- 1 red onion
- 2 spring onions
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp garlic granules
- 250 g plum tomatoes
- 80g baby spinach
- Heat puy lentils according to pack instructions
- Meanwhile mix lemon with vinegar and a pinch or two of salt.
- Slice onion rings from red onion and add to the lemon mix. leave for 5 mins,
- Mix oil cumin garlic and give it a whisk with a fork
- Add lemon mix to onions and add lentils
- Slice the tomatoes and apple, chopped spinach (washed and dried) and add to the lentil mix.
- Give it all a good stir and it's ready!