How are blueberries good for you – so many ways!
Have you ever wondered how are blueberries good for you?
Low in calories and packed with antioxidants, blueberries are known to be the most powerful superfoods on the planet, and if you still haven’t made them a part of your diet, we’ll convince you to!
Keep reading to discover 5 reasons and ways to eat more blueberries.
Reasons to Get More Blueberries in your Diet
Blueberries are literal powerhouses of nutrients, and if you still need some convincing on adding them to your diet, read on!
- They are super low in calories, but chock full of vitamins, minerals and fiber. An entire cup of blueberries gets you just 84 calories, which makes it the perfect food for those aiming to keep their weight in check.
- They are loaded with antioxidants, which protect your body against the attack of free radicals, and safeguard it against diseases such as cancer.
- They are also great for those suffering from high blood pressure. With the consumption of just 2 ounces of blueberries per day, a significant reduction in blood pressure levels was found.
- Some studies have also found that eating these berries regularly could help protect you against heart disease by lowering elevated blood cholesterol and blood pressure levels. What’s more, the anthocyanins present in these berries also have anti-diabetic effects.
- Some experts also believe that blueberries could be wonderful for brain health in particular. Eating more of them can affect brain function positively and also have favorable impacts on the cognitive function and memory.
Ways to Eat More Blueberries
Being super delicious and versatile that they are, making blueberries a part of your diet is actually pretty easy. Here’s how you can get more of them.
- Add them to your smoothies- apart from lending your basic breakfast smoothie a nice color, it also gives it that natural sweetness and kick of flavor.
- Top them on your bowl of oatmeal, and take your fiber rich breakfast up a notch. Blueberries, when added to your cereal bowl or oatmeal, can also give it a nice texture.
- Whip up a quick homemade blueberry sauce to top it on your pancakes or yogurt parfaits or even spread it on a slice of toasted bread. It won’t just be downright delicious, but will also be a healthy swap for those store bought jams and syrups.
- Add them to your salads- yes, you read that right. Not only do blueberries add a nice kick of health to your salads but also give it a different flavor and bring about a balance with the sweetness that they have!
- One of the simplest ways to have blueberries is to have them as is- just grab a handful and munch on them as a snack or top them on a bowl of Greek yogurt for a nice breakfast option.
So I hope that has answered the question how are blueberries good for you and that you are now off to eat some!
You might like to download my free meal planner printable
Have a look here at the easy blueberry recipe book
This post contains affiliate links