Today – Caramalised onion & callaloo patties
You will be in vegetarian heaven with these amazing patties. Callaloo is eaten widely in the Caribbean and is very similar to spinach. You can easily buy it in Asian supermarkets in tins or buy online. The patties are full of flavour and very filling. You can make them in advance for parties or for lunch. We’ve served them as a starter dish but they can be eaten as a snack too.
Caramalised onion & callaloo patties
Rough Puff Pastry:
225g plain flour
1/2 tsp salt
90 – 140ml ice water
- In mixing bowl, sift flour and salt.
- Dice butter into half inch pieces and add to flour.
- Cut butter into flour to coat.
- Add water and mix to for a firm door without breaking up the too much.
- Knead very lightly and form into a ball.
- Wrap in cling film and leave to rest in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
Filling for Caramalised onion & callaloo patties
500g onions, sliced
2 tbs olive oil
1 tsp garlic and ginger puree
75g spring onions
50g red and green chilli chopped
2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
400g tinned callaloo, drained
2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp Tan Rosie Garlic and Pepper sauce (HOT)
125g fresh bread crumbs
- Place saucepan on heat, add olive oil, onions and butter and sauté on medium heat for about 15 minutes until softened and golden brown, stirring occasionally.
- Add sugar and allow onions and sugar to caramelise and stir.
- Add garlic and ginger puree, spring onions, red and green chillies and thyme, stir and continue to sauté for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the drained Callaloo and stir.
- Add hot sauce, salt and black pepper and season to taste.
- Stir in bread crumbs and remove from heat.
- Leave to cool before filling pastry.
Method to make Patties:
- Preheat oven to gas mark 7. Cover baking tray with baking parchment, roll out rough puff pastry and cut out 6 inch discs.
- Place 1 tablespoon of filling into centre of each pastry disc.
- Brush edges with cold water. Fold over and crimp edges with the prongs of a fork.
- Brush with egg wash and prick to allow steam out.
- Arrange patties on baking tray and bake for 25 to 30 minutes on gas mark 7 until golden brown.
- Remove from oven when cooked and cool on a wire rack.
Off to make them!
You might also like my recipe for simple vegan stuffing